Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Lord's Tender Mercies

Elder David A. Bednar stated in his general conference talk given at the April 2005 that "Through personal study, observation, pondering, and prayer, I believe I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ."

He goes on to recount several experiences by families and people that had experienced the "tender mercies of the Lord". One family had lost there husband and father in the Iraq war. It was Christmas time and their loss was fresh when they received a Christmas card from there dear one. He went on to say how the Christmas card sent loving wishes and a reminder that families are forever. This father's message was meant to mean that they were apart this Christmas, but be cheerful and remember that even though the miles separate them, they are together forever. This grieving widow clearly knew that this was a tender mercy from the Lord strengthening her testimony of the love of Father in Heaven and for the unity of forever.

Elder Bednar further goes on to say "the Lord’s tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Faithfulness, obedience, and humility invite tender mercies into our lives, and it is often the Lord’s timing that enables us to recognize and treasure these important blessings."

I receive tender mercies all the time, but yet I do not recognize them as coming from a loving Father in Heaven. The latest tender mercy I got was from my sister-in-law who is a strong christian in a non-denominational church. She had written on her facebook that she "....was praising His mercies which are new every morning, especially this morning when the sunlight lays golden on the ice and snow!" This was a powerful reminder to me about the Lord's tender mercies he gives to us and I took that comment on her facebook to be my tender mercy of the day. It was a profound thing for me to be reminded of those tender mercies that I often times neglect to recognize.

I strive to see the mercies of the Lord each and every day. I invite you to do the same.

No comments: