Sunday, February 1, 2009

A new thing

Wow! What happened to writing with paper and pens? This blog thing about had me done in, but I perserved and here we go. I don't think I have it perfect, but it's a start and that's half the battle.

I am a big fan of journaling and have kept a journal since I was 13. The first journal I ever got was from a YW teacher at church who taught us a lesson on journals and gave each one of us girls a blank journal to start in. I still have that very journal and some of the most stupid things are written it, but isn't that what part of jounaling is; Stupid, random stuff!

As you can see in my blog description I really love fireflys. The first time I saw a firefly (some of you may call them lightning bugs) was in Kentucky when I went for the 4th of July to visit my birthfamily. I had never seen one before this and I found myself captivated by these little creatures. I sat frozen as I watched them bop around in the night sky blinking on and off. I must of sat there for an hour just watching them dance and reflected on a metaphor that I try to use in my daily life.

Usually in the darkest of times I hide somewhere safe and hope that the storm will pass me by quickly. My hard times usually like to stick around, so I'm usually hiding somewhere safe. I am scared, lonely and tired. I'm quiet and still. However, with my firefly friends I have started to learn to be unafraid of the dark and unknown. Like the firefly, I don't know how long I will have to live, but I need to spread my wings and fly in the night sky showing my light to everyone who sees me. Leaving my dark, quiet spot is hard and leaving it leaves me vulnerable to the night sky, but if a little bug can do it, so can I.

No comments: